Potassium formate is potassium salt of formic acid, its pure form features white crystalline powder. It is widely used as an anti-freezing additive to concrete and additive to the tile adhesives. Potassium formate is a coolant for industrial freezers and also used as deicing agent. In the food industry it is used as a preservative and salt substitute.
Recently potassium formate is engaged in its liquid form in reconstruction and drilling of boreholes. Studies conducted by a number of Western companies and leading universities in the field of extractive industries show that solutions based on organic salts of alkali metals (such as potassium formate) are ideal for the most difficult tasks of reconstruction and drilling of wells, their use helps to increase productivity and boost the recovery.
The characteristics of drilling solutions based on potassium formate:
- High thermal stability — the muds based on formates preserve thermal stability at temperatures up to 200 °C.
- Wide density control range, both with and without filling.
- Wider range of viscosity control without the use of the solid phase.
- The low level of corrosion — alkaline characteristics of the potassium formate solution provides good protection against corrosion.
- Low solution crystallization temperature.
- Prevention of shale swelling.
- Rock stabilization due to the ion exchange effect.
- Rock throughput capacity preservation.
- The absence of toxic characteristics and environmental safety.
The advantages of potassium formate based solution usage:
- No requirement toughening from the environmental organizations.
- Environmentally hazardous waste is not produced, which is extremely important in areas with high levels of environmental protection.
- Possibility of multiple application and usage of drilling mud due to the high enzymatic stability of potassium formate and resistance to thermo-oxidative degradation.
- Preparation and purification of the mud during the drilling process does not require additional equipment.
- The drilling solution has no adverse effect on the collector.